Decoration Fire Safety Tips
Happy Holidays from EHS! The holiday season is here and the joy of this season leads many to decorate their homes and offices. We want to provide our Charlotte family with a few safety tips to keep in mind while decorating on campus and at home.
- Do not use decorations in your office/residence hall that have an open flame.
- Decorations, lights, signs, and ornaments are prohibited from being placed on fire doors.
- Do not hang anything from a sprinkler head. Use fire retardant decorations and keep decorations away from heat sources.
- Do not place decorations in exit corridors, nor in places that can obstruct the view of exit signs, fire alarm pull stations or fire extinguishers.
- Do not overload outlets and get into the habit of unplugging holiday lights before you leave the office each day.
- Keep open flame candles in your sight.
- Ensure lights placed outside are labeled for outdoor use.
- Do not overload outlets and unplug cords slowly.
- Test your smoke alarms.
- Tell guests about your home fire escape plan and assembly point.