Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has developed a Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) program to comply with the Occupational Safety and Health Administrations (OSHA) 1910.132 standard. The program covers all University employees who, in the course of their duties are required to wear PPE to protect them from recognized hazards.
What you need to know
- A PPE hazard assessment form should be completed for the work task to determine what types of PPE are required. Please refer to the PPE hazard assessment summary document for minimum PPE requirements and purchasing information.
- For tools or equipment, please refer to the manufacturer’s manual for PPE requirements
- PPE must be provided free of charge
- Training must be provided initially and periodically
- Specific PPE such as respirators require purchase authorization, medical clearance, and fit testing
- PPE must be stored in accordance with manufacturer requirements
The Environmental Health and Safety Office offers the following services:
- Consultative hazard assessment
- PPE purchase authorization
- Medical clearance, fit and audiometric testing
- Limited PPE equipment testing
- Written programs, plans, and procedures