The laboratory environment has a wide array of unique hazards and risks that must be controlled. The Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) at UNC Charlotte is established to protect employees and students from potential health hazards associated with handling, use and storage of chemicals in laboratories and to certify PPE requirements. The CHP also details the procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency incident, such as a hazardous material spill. Lab personnel shall be trained on the CHP and procedures that are specific to their laboratory.
What you need to know
- The Principal Investigator (PI) has overall responsibility for laboratory safety and regulatory compliance.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are required for particularly hazardous substances.
- Never work alone with particularly hazardous substances.
- Chemical inventories can be uploaded and maintained in EHSA Onsite.
- Safety Data Sheets can be accessed and managed using MSDS Online.
- Incompatible chemicals should be segregated during storage.
- Know where the nearest emergency eyewash station and chemical spill kit is located.
- PI’s must ensure lab personnel complete all applicable training.
- Lab personnel must restrict lab access to authorized personnel and ensure the lab is secure when unoccupied.
The Environmental Health and Safety Office offers the following services:
- Laboratory registration
- Laboratory Decommissioning
- Lab Start up inspection
- PPE evaluation
- Standard Operating Procedures reviews
- Chemical Assessments
- Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Warning signs and labeling
- Lab Equipment assessments
- Incident investigations
- MSDS Online
- Chemical Standard Operating Procedures
- Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Hazard Communication Program
- Chemical Inventory Form
- Chemical Storage Table
- Transporting Chemicals on Campus
- Chemical Spill Procedures
- Cryogenic Materials
- Laboratory Chemical Fume Hood Fact Sheet
- Compressed Gas Cylinders Fact Sheet
- Emergency Eyewash Fact Sheet
- Laboratory Glassware Fact Sheet
- Hydrofluoric Acid Fact Sheet
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography Fact Sheet