The University of North Carolina at Charlotte Respiratory Protection Program is designed to comply with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) respiratory protection requirements as outlined in 29 CFR 1910.134. The program outlines acceptable practices for respirator selection, use, training, proper storage, and maintenance.
This program applies to all UNC Charlotte employees who are required to wear a respirator to perform assigned duties, and for any employee who voluntarily wears a respirator when one is not required.
What you need to know
- A workplace hazard assessment should be conducted to determine if respirators are required to the worn by employees
- You must be enrolled in the Respiratory Protection program prior to wearing a respirator. Contact EHS to determine enrollment status.
- Medical clearance must be provided prior to wearing a respirator unless for voluntary use
- Fit testing is required prior to wearing a respirator and annually thereafter. Supervisors generally coordinate with EHS for annual fit testing
- Training is required initially and annually thereafter
- Filtering facepiece respirators are the only respirators available for voluntary use. The voluntary use form must be completed prior to wearing a voluntary use respirator.
- Respirators must be stored and maintained in accordance with manufacturer requirements
The Environmental Health and Safety Office offers the following services:
- Consultative hazard assessment
- Program enrollment
- Respirator purchase authorization
- Medical clearance and fit testing
- Limited PPE equipment testing
- Written programs, plans, and procedures